Monday, June 23, 2008

9:50 pm

I took this photo out my upstairs window a few minutes ago.


I can't help but think, though I have not yet looked it up, that we must be at a considerably higher latitude here than in Tranna. It gets light out extremely early and has been doing so since May.

I was awake this morning at 4:20 am and it was light and the birds were singing.

When my Uncle drove me in early May to the Liverpool airport to catch a 6:30 am flight, it was light out by the time we were on the highway past Chester and broad daylight when he dropped me off at five.

No one else thinks this is weird.

I think it is to England's extremely long hours of daylight, in addition to the mild and damp weather and abundant natural fertilisers, that we can attribute the beauty of the gardens.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It works the same at the bottom of the world, as I'm sure you know. I have never experienced it but everyone says that the people of Invercargill have enough light to read a newspaper outside at 10 pm in the middle of summer.

Iohannes Carolus Crassus said...

Tranna is on the same latitude as Rome!, so yes, you are considerably higher up.

Mark S. Abeln said...

Of course you make up for it in the middle of winter. Doesn't it get dark at 4:00 p.m.? You are precisely at the same latitude as the Aleutian Islands in Alaska. But you have the Gulf Stream to keep your country from turning into frigid ice-land.

I am way south. Directly due east of me is Thermopylae of the 300 Spartans fame.