Monday, March 16, 2009

The Ides of March in the Heart of the Empire


Hey Hilary, did you know your birthday is the same day that Julius Caesar was assassinated?

No! Really?!

I can't say that anyone... in my whooooooole life has ever pointed that out.

...


Not bad for an old dame.

Yep, it's that time of year again. And it was a pretty good day, all in all. Had lots of fun adventures.

Got to climb into the little marble cubbyhole behind the high altar at Ssma. Trinita and get a pic of the recently discovered tomb of a Roman martyr.


A St. Anthony, though not sure which one. His festa is the 13th.

Then was taken to lunch with friends.







Francesco, our regular waiter at Monte Carlo, loves to have his picture taken.


Monte Carlo is a very popular spot. It's a good idea to get in there at twelve thirty, because by twelve forty-five it's like this.


Then we went and did something I've always wanted to do. This is the statue of the Divine Julius on road through the Imperial Forum. The wreath, of laurels of course, was laid in a ceremony by the Commune di Roma.


And throughout the day, people come to have their pictures taken with the man who should have been king.

But I've always wanted to do something more in keeping, and pour a libation and have a drink in his memory.


So we did.










And left the repose of the first Emperor's soul to the care of St. Clare.



The crumbling remains of the heart of the Empire. Look upon my works, ye mighty...



2 comments:

Steve said...

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this every time you post pics about your Rome adventures, but I am insanely jealous.

Anonymous said...

...and you forgot to title that one of me at Monte Carlo as "...I said, GIVE ME THAT CAMERA!"

Doncha love the way my eyes are just a bit out of line in that pic? Was I having an aneurism? or was it just the wine?