Sunday, July 10, 2011

Elf n' Safety?

Went for an evening stroll last night to the beach promenade. They have a sort of market there on summer weekends where you can buy things like antiques (or possibly "antiques"), sun hats, scarves, beach wear, jewelery, second hand books and random stuff. Mostly people stroll up and down in the warm, humid air, eat ice cream, chat with neighbours and tourists, listen to the waves on the beach competing with the music playing from the Gigi bar. My friend Andrea and I went down there last night after dinner. I bought another hat and she bought some "hand painted" traditional Italian crockery.

While I was trying on a hat, squinting myopically into a mirror, she said, "Do you see that?"

I have broken my glasses, so I had not at first noticed the procession that was moving past the market stroll on the Via Aurelia. A horde of young kids, teenagers, all rollerblading up the street, decked out in brightly coloured spandex clothes and safety helmets carrying lit tiki torches.

I laughed. "Only in Italy. In Britain, 'elf n' safety would be having apoplexy."

There's a lot to love about this country.



~

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Felix said...

"At C.1:Q.96, Nostradamus foretells of an iconoclastic prophet, using refined language to continually educate, who is raised in the Last Days."

Golly, old N must have foreseen our Hilary!

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

Whoever you are,

do not, EVER, use my commbox for your wretched spam messages again.

You will not only incur my Smite button, but you will be cursed, outcast and among the teeth-gnashing for all eternity.

The Crescat said...

"You will not only incur my Smite button, but you will be cursed, outcast and among the teeth-gnashing for all eternity."

You have such an eloquent way with words. No wonder I was slightly intimidated meeting you. :-P