Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Triassic Kraken and flying squids


Below the thunders of the upper deep;
Far far beneath in the abysmal sea,
His ancient, dreamless, uninvaded sleep
The Kraken sleepeth...

* ~ * ~ *

I haven't posted much lately on the cephalopod threat, knowing that my readers are probably more or less saturated with scary news and probably would rather I talk about art. But I just couldn't let this one go.

Scientists are postulating the existence of an ancient super-duper-giganto-squid. Like really really freaking huge. The Triassic Kraken, the story goes, was so big it hunted these things. And was so smart it made art with the vertebrae of its prey.

Someone who has been following my efforts to raise awareness of the threat posed by the radially symmetrical sent me the link on Facebook. He said, "Don't worry, they're supposed to have died out millions of years ago..."

Yeah, that's what they said about these things too. I'd like to know how my friend thinks he knows they've all died out. What the hell is really down there? No one knows, buddy. No-one.

And here, we have another example of why I exclusively support Bilateral Symmetry. I mean really, flying squid? 65 feet?! Seriously?!

I've said it before. Water reduces the effect of gravity on the things that live in it. This does nothing but encourage all manner of morphological excess. It is our duty to eat everything in the ocean.

This site is sort of fun, and it also has a "Squidwatch" section.

Word is getting out.

"I saw them come for the sperm whales, but I was not a sperm whale, so I did nothing. Then I saw them come for the walruses and other land/sea mammals, but I was exclusively a land-dweller so I didn't do anything..."



~

2 comments:

Ingemar said...

I read your link and almost gave up when I saw that they gave their daughter the name of Noah.

Really, people. Really. Stop trying to feminize male names (Ashley, Taylor, Skyler, Dylan, Riley) and stop giving girls the names of medieval professions (Taylor (again), Hunter, etc.)

I was a victim of nominal terrorism. I won't let it happen to anyone else.

Belfry Bat said...

Mark Shea catches up with you.