Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Fun stuff from around the 'net for Tues

Terry Gilliam's latest cry for existential help, for deliverance from the modern world's impoverished metaphysics.


~ * ~

Ever wonder what a real Welsh accent sounds like?

~ * ~

Someone quoted me!

The other day, LifeSiteNews writer Hilary White posted an interesting question: “A question that has been haunting me lately: given what we know, given what is happening in the world, what business do we have pursuing a quiet, ordinary life?” That depends, I suppose, on your definition of quiet and ordinary

...

Dr. Monica Miller, in her superb book Abandoned: The Untold Story of the Abortion Wars, describes this realization better than anything I’ve read or heard so far:

“I opened the door to the refrigerator to retrieve a carton of milk,” she wrote, “In the midst of reaching into the refrigerator my hand stopped. I was gripped by a realization. I thought, I’m not living in a normal world anymore. Standing there, suspended in time with one arm in the fridge, I realized that ‘normal’ could not apply to a world in which the murder of the unborn was protected by law, and that I could no longer consider myself a normal person. I knew that I could not live my life in the expected way: get an education, get a job, get married, buy a house. I felt I could not deal with those things. No, I had to be seized by a radical act. I had to drop everything—forget about milk and lunch. Babies are being murdered. They are being murdered down the street, in my own town. I know about it and I have to give up my life and do something about it.”

Everyone I've ever talked to who is involved in the kind of work I do has had the same experience. Mine was on a bus in Halifax when I looked around at everyone on the bus and realised that nearly every one of them, if asked, would probably say it was OK to kill people. It was a terrifying experience, and I went home that day and didn't come out of my apartment for three days.

I am asking the question more and more. Far from receding into the background buzz of my brain, it comes to me now clearly at any time of the day or night: why am I trying to live a quiet normal life in the middle of a war? And if not the normal pursuits, then what?

~ * ~

Best yet from Kathy: when Monty Python sketches become documentaries.

"So, you want to donate your liver, then?"

Yes, and from now on, I want you all to call me Loretta.

~ * ~

Archeology nerds! Sunken ancient things! Coo-Whul!

A 1500-year-old basilica was unearthed during excavations conducted on the bed of Lake Iznik.




~

No comments: