Monday, March 31, 2014

Yeah, I know, sorry,

...but the stats are still really high. I check every couple of days and they're still way higher than normal. So, just hang tight, you regulars.

They'll be gone soon...

Meanwhile, I share a little of what's on my mind lately.

A conversation by FB with my old bloggie-buddy Steve. Steve's been a little worried lately too. And as it turns out, he's not the only one.

HJW: Did I tell you my latest zombie dream?

Steve Skojec: No. you haven't

HJW: I was in a big city, like Vancouver or Toronto, maybe New York, but definitely N. America and the zombies were swarming the whole city, coming on like a wave. But so fast that half the city didnt know.

I escaped to a section where things were still normal, and ran around this mall yelling at everyone to STOP SHOPPING... trying to get them to understand that they needed to run RIGHT NOW.

They were shopping, shopping, and talking on their cellphones and acting completely normal.

Steve Skojec: yeah, no metaphor there at all

HJW: I looked up one street and saw the wave coming about three blocks up, and people started screaming up there and running, shots fired, cops, sirens, fires, couple of explosions, but still all the people around me refused to listen.

...Then they started falling on us out of windows of the skyscrapers.

Steve Skojec: I don't like your dreams

HJW: Me neither

A little... preoccupied lately: Russia, China, Iran, Russia and China, Korea, N. Korea, troops and hardware moving to Russia's western borders, the US sending planes to Poland. Finland. Estonia. Latvia. Lithuania. All the names I really never wanted to hear mentioned every night in the news again.

Getting that paralysis feeling again... it was soooo long ago...I thought I'd forgotten what it felt like.

We really thought it was over. We weren't idiots; we knew that there was still plenty of Bad out there, but we thought at least the chances of getting vapourised had diminished a bit. My twice or thrice-weekly nightmares about The Blast diminished and finally dried up all together.

The _____ ____ing Cold War went a long way to blighting the lives of my entire generation. And we thought it was over.

It wasn't much, but we figured at least that one was behind us. As long as they weren't going to blow up the world, we'd make it. We could deal.

It's like the end of the movie when you thought (but you didn't really) the monster was dead, and it roars back to life. Only this time, it eats everybody...

...and there's no credits.

People talking about how it might be a good idea to learn how to make a fire without matches.

Oh, and there's this. Remember ebola? Oh, I do.

How does it go again? War, plague, famine and... and... what was the last thing again?

Suddenly, it's 1980 again, and I'm 15, listening to Heart, and wondering if there's any point to doing anything. (That was the real reason, by the way that "Gen-X" never did anything with ourselves. The "slacker" generation had been told by their hippie parents that none of us were going to live to see thirty, so what did we care? We were, to put it simply, paralysed by the terror our parents had instilled in us. We spent our whole lives staring unmoving at the headlights we'd been told were coming at us. Yeah, thanks for that Boomers...)

Oh, how well I remember that weird, nauseating pressure between my shoulder blades and at the base of my throat at the phrase "emergency NATO meeting..."

After Friday's urgent meeting of the UNSC, U.S. ambassador to the UN, Samantha Power, called upon Moscow to withdraw its armed forces from Crimea, while Russia’s UN ambassador Vitaly Churkin said that Russia is acting within existing agreements on the stationing of the Russian Black Sea fleet in Sevastopol, Crimea.

Russia is a veto-wielding permanent member of the Security Council and is able to block any proposed action by its members.

Foreign ministers of the European Union will convene at an extraordinary meeting on Monday to discuss Russia’s potential use of armed forces in Ukraine.

Thousands of Russian soldiers doing nuke drills.

Nuke drills.

...

(...nuke drills...)

...



Sooo...

Not much blogging for a while.

Why don't y'all go say a Rosary or two.



~

6 comments:

Chloe said...

" In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world"

And conversation with St Bernadette

The Prussians are at our gates; does that not cause you any fear?
- No.
- There is thus nothing to fear?
- I only fear bad Catholics.
- You do not fear anything else?
- No, nothing else.

St Bernadette pray that we have a share in your courage.

Scares the heck out of me too

Chloe said...

P.s. really missed you x

JohnB said...

Recently re-watched the BBC production "Threads" about nuclear war. Chilling.
Or, just watch the creepy parts and youtube "Protect and Survive" for what precisely to do to prepare and survive a nuclear attack.
The bumper tones used at the end of each segment are simply CHARMING!

Anonymous said...

Memories of the nuclear panic of the 80s are still vivid in my mind. I was absolutely and utterly convinced that I would not live past 30. I remember watching Threads and feeling totally decimated by it.

I, too, thought we were safe.

Lydia

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

I didn't watch Threads until a couple of years ago. But they gave us plenty of multi-media materials in school to help the imagination.

Anonymous said...

Scary times, indeed, but we've been through it before. I remember the empty grocery store shelves when I was a child during the Cuban Missal Crisis. At the time I didn't understand what my dad meant when he said we didn't need to stockpile groceries.

I like what Chloe said; and St. Bernadette.

Linda